Taking the Leap to Do YouTube Full Time and How It Changed Her Life
Taking the Leap to Do YouTube Full Time and How It Changed Her Life with YouTube Influencer and Artist Amanda Lee: Beauty and the Vlog Podcast 112
“It’s kind of nice when what other people enjoy, and what you enjoy, lines up.”
If you could work on YouTube full time, would you take that leap of faith? Our guest, Amanda Lee, went with her gut and decided to do just that!
19-year old Amanda first started her YouTube channel when she was only 15 years old. She attended an art program in high school and, although art is definitely her number one passion, YouTube became a place for her to get away from art when it felt too suffocating. She started doing DIY and fashion and beauty videos and had about 60k subscribers when she graduated high school in August 2016.
As an artist, Amanda felt like she could do a lot more on her channel. So, she decided to take a year off from school and do YouTube full time. She then made the conscious decision to rebrand her channel and strategize her content. By January 2017, she hit 100k subscribers. And when she transitioned into art and started her bullet journals, they became so popular that she has now gained more than 400k subscribers and 17 million views.
“Find your groove, and once you do, it’s enjoyable on both ends of the spectrum.”
Amanda first started her channel to get away from art but now it’s what her channel is known for. She has definitely come full circle and you can too! If you have something you love and that you’re truly passionate about, you might want to take that leap of faith and do YouTube full time!
“You have to really love something and keep doing it without any guarantee of success in order for you to actually succeed.”
8 Key Interview Takeaways
- Find your groove. Before you decide to do YouTube full time, figure out where you fit in, in the entire YouTube world. Once you do, focus and steer your channel in that direction.
- Be aware of your content. When you’re doing YouTube full time, make sure you’re looking at the numbers and make sure you’re seeing what’s doing well and what people are responding to.
- Post what you enjoy. You don’t want to only do what other people like, but as Amanda points out, “It’s nice when what other people enjoy and what you enjoy lines up. If you can find that sweet middle spot, it’s perfect.”
- Give your channel a cohesive look. This way, people can identify which videos are yours even by just looking at the thumbnails, and brands will take you more seriously.
- Consider having more than just one channel. If you’re passionate about more than just one thing, consider splitting up your content and having a separate channel rather than lumping all your videos about different things in just one channel.
- Be comfortable about reaching out to brands. As you get more numbers and a bigger audience, don’t shy away from reaching out to brands with a very concrete pitch idea.
- Consider getting a Patreon account. It’s not really about getting money from your subscribers. It’s more about them being able to support you because they really like your content and them getting extra things from you in return.
- Do what you love. Keep your finger on the trends, but don’t do only the trendy stuff. Amanda says, “Do what you love and eventually people will notice your passion for it.”
Amanda Lee’s Favorite Items Mentioned in The Podcast!
Amanda’s video: My Bullet Journal Setup 2017
Amanda’s Video: PLAN WITH ME | March 2017 Bullet Journal Setup
Draw with Jazza’s YouTube Channel
Connect with Amanda Lee
This episode is sponsored by Tomorrow Sleep. Their unique hybrid construction combines cooling high-density memory foam with a breathable, supportive coil system in the perfect balance of cool comfort and support for real, restorative sleep. Enter promo code VLOG150 at checkout to receive $150 off purchases of $500 or more!